Sat May 4 2019 Lunch
At 1:00 - VINCE MACK
At 6:15 - TOM LANGE
At Top - RENEE SOTILE
At 9:30 - CAROLYN FOX
At 15:00 - LORRAINE HILLMAN
At 23:00 - DAVE LOPEZ
At 31:30 - PHIL SHUMAN
At top - BONNIE BURROW
At 2:00 - BRIAN BLAND
At 5:00 - Remembering
TOM HATTEN - 1926-2019
At 9:00 - Remembering
DAVID HOROWITZ - 1937-2019
At 14:30 - STEVE RODRIGUES
At 21:15 - Promoting our
Aug 3 and Nov 2 Lunches
May 27, 2019
In case you just wandered onto this web page, we are the News Geezers - an informal, friendly group of veteran Southern California TV, radio, print, web and PR journalists. We hold lunches quarterly. Our mailing list is about 500 strong.
Learn about the background of our group by clicking on the "About" tab above (or at the top of any page). The names of all those on the mailing list can be found at the "RSVP/Roster" tab of this site.
Credit for the name "News Geezers" goes to the late, great Bob Long.
If you have questions or would like to be on the mailing list - and perhaps attend one of our lunches - please contact Bob Tarlau through the form you will find by clicking on the "Contact" tab. Thanks and cheers! Bob
PHOTOS FROM OUR MAY 2019 LUNCH
Photos by Bob Tarlau, Lorena Tong & Gary Sunkin
For the complete album of these photos: Click here!
We had 86 members of the News Geezers attend our latest lunch--held at Victorios in North Hollywood--on Sat May 4.
Our focus this time was a 25 year look back at the Nicole Brown Simpson/Ron Goldman murders and the subsequent arrest and trials of OJ Simpson.
Photos of the lunch are to the left of this column... and you will find a link to the complete album.
Links to the video--with time-codes to the speakers--is at the right.
* TOM LANGE, LAPD Retired - Tom and the late Phil Vanatter were the lead detectives on the Simpson case... with their involvement starting the night of the murders. He's written a book on it: "Evidence Dismissed: The Inside Story of the Police Investigation of O.J. Simpson,"
* VINCE MACK – our principal News Geezers lunch photographer – who was the camera operator aboard Fox 11’s Skyfox chopper during the famous slow-speed chase. He will talk about his aerial perspective of the events of June 17, 1994.
* CAROLYN FOX - Executive Director of the Radio Television News Association (RTNA) for about 35 years will bring stories of Camp OJ... and a collection of the specially issued press passes.
* RENEE SOTILE – who attends our lunches regularly – is a filmmaker and documentary producer. She was a photojournalist working the Simpson trials. Now she is focusing some of her energy and creativity on “I Remember Nicole” – an awareness and public outrage program that describes itself as “A Global Anthem Reclaiming Power Over Domestic Violence”. Renee showed a video the group has produced and talk about her role… and the group’s important message and mission.
* LORRAINE HILLMAN is a retired long time veteran of CBS – both network news and Channel 2 - and ABC News. She was in the business for four decades (and worked for 17 news directors - gotta to be a record!). She has a book called “Lifetime of News: A Memoir”. She made a rare return to Los Angeles and spoke about her extensive research work into every aspect of the Simpson case.
* Reporters DAVE LOPEZ and PHIL SHUMAN.
We also marked the passings of Tom Hatten and David Horowitz... with some special videos.
The May 4 lunch also included an update from STEVE SKOOTSKY who took the lead in producing our Feb 2 lunch marking the 50th anniversary of the “Evewitness News” format at KABC-TV. Video of the Feb 2 lunch is now posted... and you will find links to the three parts in the column to the right. Still photos are to the left and below, along with links to the complete albums.
The remaining 2019 lunches are planned for Sat Aug 3--when we’ll mark the 50th year since the Charles Manson case)--and Sat Nov 2.
That final meeting of the year will include a special shooting of prime photographs from the Herald Examiner's photo files, now in the care of the Los Angeles Public Library.
Library photo curator Wendy Horowitz will be with us for both the August and November programs.
Again the location--for both lunches-- is Victorios Restaurant, 10901 Victory Blvd, North Hollywood 91606. Chef Robert’s delicious Italian buffet lunch is $20 (including dessert and tip) or you can order off the menu. Payment is at the venue.
See you on August 3. I will open RSVPs for that lunch around the first of July.
Thanks for your interest and support.