Sat Feb 2 2019 Lunch
At 3:20 - Tribute to the late
Harvey Siders of KABC-TV
At 6:45 - Al Primo
Creator of the Eyewitness News format
At 25:15 - STEVE SKOOTSKY
At 26:20 - JOHN SEVERINO
At 38:45 - REGIS PHILBIN
At Top - HAROLD GREENE
At 5:05 - TERRY CROFOOT
At 10:20 - TAWNY LITTLE
At 12:30 - DAVID SHEEHAN
At 14:30 - GENE GLEESON
At 22:15 - PETE NOYES
At 27:10 - RONA BARRETT
At 32:45 - Dr. ART ULENE
At top - Mention ED ARNOLD
At :55 - HEATHER McKENZIE
introducing DAVE & MARY BUSSE
At 8:25 - RICK DE REYES
At 17:00 - JIM HATTENDORF
At 22:00 - SKOOTSKY's
We will mark the 25th anniversary of the OJ Simpson case
April 24, 2019
In case you just wandered onto this web page, we are the News Geezers - an informal, friendly group of veteran Southern California TV, radio, print, web and PR journalists. We hold lunches quarterly. Our mailing list is about 500 strong.
Learn about the background of our group by clicking on the "About" tab above (or at the top of any page). The names of all those on the mailing list can be found at the "RSVP/Roster" tab of this site.
Credit for the name "News Geezers" goes to the late, great Bob Long.
If you have questions or would like to be on the mailing list - and perhaps attend one of our lunches - please contact Bob Tarlau through the form you will find by clicking on the "Contact" tab. Thanks and cheers! Bob
Our next News Geezers lunch will be held on Sat May 4 – starting at noon – at Victorios Restaurant in North Hollywood.
RSVPs are open now – with a deadline of this coming Saturday - April 27.
just send an e-mail to email@example.com and let me know you plan to attend. You will find the list of RSVPs (along with the entire roster) at the Roster & RSVPs tab on this website.
We currently have 61 RSVPs.
Our focus at the May 4th lunch will a 25 year look back at the Nicole Brown Simpson/Ron Goldman murders and the subsequent arrest and trials of OJ Simpson.
Speakers will include:
* TOM LANGE, LAPD Retired - Tom and the late Phil Vanatter were the lead detectives on the Simpson case... with their involvement starting the night of the murders. He's written a book on it: "Evidence Dismissed: The Inside Story of the Police Investigation of O.J. Simpson,"
* VINCE MACK – our principal News Geezers lunch photographer – who was the camera operator aboard Fox 11’s Skyfox chopper during the infamous slow-speed chase. He will talk about his aerial perspective of the events of June 17, 1994.
* CAROLYN FOX - Executive Director of the Radio Television News Association (RTNA) for about 35 years will bring stories of Camp OJ... and a collection of the specially issued press passes.
* LORRAINE HILLMAN is a retired long time veteran of CBS – both network news and Channel 2 - and ABC News. She was in the business for four decades (and worked for 17 news directors - gotta to be a record!). She has a book called “Lifetime of News: A Memoir”. She's making a rare return to Los Angeles and will talk about her extensive research work into every aspect of the Simpson case.
* DAVE LOPEZ - We celebrated Dave's 40th year at Channel 2. Now he'll bring us the stories behind his coverage of the OJ Simpson case.
* RENEE SOTILE – who attends our lunches regularly – is a filmmaker and documentary producer. She was a photojournalist working the Simpson trials. Now she is focusing some of her energy and creativity on “I Remember Nicole” – an awareness and public outrage program that describes itself as “A Global Anthem Reclaiming Power Over Domestic Violence”. Renee will show a video the group has produced and talk about her role… and the group’s important message and mission.
If you were directly involved in the coverage and would like to contribute your story to the May 4th lunch, we’d like to hear from you. Just write, please, and let me know.
Again the location is Victorios Restaurant, 10901 Victory Blvd, North Hollywood 91606. Chef Robert’s delicious Italian buffet lunch is $20 (including dessert and tip) or you can order off the menu. Payment is at the venue.
On May 4th, we'll also hear from STEVE SKOOTSKY who took the lead in producing our Feb 2 lunch marking the 50th anniversary of the “Evewitness News” format at KABC-TV. Video of the lunch is now posted... and you will find links to the three parts in the column to the right. Still photos are to the left and below, along with links to the complete albums.
We will also mark the passings of Tom Hatten and David Horowitz... with some special videos.
Other 2019 lunches are planned for Sat Aug 3 (when we’ll mark the 50th year since the Charles Manson case) and Sat Nov 2.
See you on May 4th. Again you can RSVP now… to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks, Bob Tarlau